Atascadero State Hospital is a state forensic psychiatric hospital serving an all adult male population. The program includes the following components:
1) A three week orientation
2) A three and a half month, full time rotation on an admissions unit, focusing on psychological assessment of mentally ill forensic patients. Two, four month, three day a week rotations on treatment units that run concurrently with an eight month, 12 hour a week rotation on the Forensic Services Team.
3) Completion of 15 psychological evaluations including 6 psychological testing batteries, 7 forensic evaluations, 1 behavior modification plan, and 1 PCL-R evaluation
4) Participation in seminars including: Forensics, Individual Differences and Diversity, Scientific and Ethical Practice, Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised/Risk Assessment, and Professional Issues.
5) Completion of 2 "tutorials" (structured learning experiences chosen by the intern and the intern's supervisors).
6) Minimum of four hours per week dedicated to supervision.
7) Interns are encouraged to attend training and professional development activities.
Interns play an integral role in establishing training goals and activities for the year. With approximately 60 psychologists on staff, interns have opportunities to gain training/experience in many specialty areas. Within the program structure, each intern's program is tailored to meeting their individual training needs and interests while meeting some basic requirements of the overall program.
ONLY APPLICATIONS THAT MEET ALL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS WILL BE REVIEWED. APPLICANTS MUST HAVE COMPLETED AT LEAST 500 INTERVENTION & 150 ASSESSMENT HOURS (face to face, by application date), AND HAVE FORENSIC EXPERIENCE. COMPREHENSIVE EXAMS MUST BE COMPLETE & DISSERTATION PROPOSAL DEFENDED PRIOR TO APPLICATION. THE PROGRAM GIVES PREFERENCE TO APPLICANTS WHO WILL COMPLETE THEIR DISSERTATION DEFENSE PRIOR TO INTERNSHIP.
THE HOSPITAL DOES NOT HIRE PSYCHOLOGISTS FROM NON APA ACCREDITED PROGRAMS. WHILE THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM CONSIDERS APPLICANTS FROM NON APA ACCREDITED DOCTORAL PROGRAMS THERE IS A PREFERENCE GIVEN TO THOSE FROM ACCREDITED PROGRAMS.