The experiences available to interns of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler Psychology Internship Program are extensive and diverse. Housed in an academic health center, the internship program offers opportunities to interface at many levels in a medical setting. Interns learn to collaborate with physicians, physicians-in-training, nurses, dietitians, pharmacy students, medical students and other consultants. They play a vital role in the care of both medical and psychiatric patients.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler Psychology Internship Program began its first training cohort in July 2015, after participating in the Lone Star Psychology Internship Consortium for two years. In October 2015, the program gained membership to APPIC. Our program has been accredited by APA since October of 2018.
The internship program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler provides health service psychology (clinical) training in an academic health center, with a focus on Integrated Behavioral Health. This experience provides both short-term and long-term intervention and consultation in health and mental health areas. Opportunities for assessments include child evaluations, pain treatment planning, pre-surgical readiness, memory screens, neuropsychological evaluations, and other areas of concern as needed. In addition to training at the academic health center, interns will rotate not only at the onsite psychiatric units but also at Terrell State Hospital for experience in severe and persistent mental illness and forensic evaluation. In sum, experiences include:
- Integrated Behavioral Health interventions (psychotherapy and consultation) throughout the hospital as well as the Family Medicine Residency Clinic and Emergency Department.
- Interventions with the Palliative Care team in Oncology and other settings.
- Testing referrals for memory screens, pre-surgical evaluations, ADHD, pain evaluations, dementia, neuropsychological assessment.
- Group therapy on acute and subacute psychiatry (in-house) units,
- Psychotherapy and testing one day per week on psychiatric units on campus and at Terrell State Hospital (one day a week) for 1/2 of the year.
- Psychotherapy and testing in on-site child and adolescent psychology,
- Supervision of Master's level students in their practica experiences at our sister campus, UT Tyler.
- Substance Use Disorder and Opioid assessment experience.
- An elective experience chosen by each intern.
- Scholarly activity in Quality Improvement and other projects.